Dietary Dramas and Drivels

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Fountain of Youth

There is no "true" fountain of youth other than how you treat your body. As a dietitian, I frequently get told that I look the part.

What does that mean? "Dana, you look the part of a dietitian." Well, I'm 5'7" and weight 125 pounds. I'm tallish and slim.

I get told...Dana, it's not fair, you don't really have to try!

Well, I would argue that point. I don't have to try to lose weight...I maintain the weight I'm currently at, and perhaps I don't have to try as hard as someone who is trying to lose weight might have to try...but I don't just do nothing!

I look the part because 1) I get exercise every day of the week, whether that be going to the gym, or walking outdoors, or going for a swim...i do something every day to get activity, to burn calories. 2) I eat healthy food. No, I'm not perfect all the time, no I don't eat nothing but vegetables, but I would say that when I do eat, I fill my plate with vegetables, or salad, or whole grains and lean meats. I use very little salt, I eat healthy fats, I eat fish, lean chicken, and few desserts.

I used to not eat desserts, I used to deprive myself, all that made me do was want certain treats more! I craved them...now I allow myself a piece of chocolate daily, I'm a chocoholic.

That's the key though...don't deny yourself your simple pleasures, it will backfire.

Also, do get activity every day...it's key to losing weight, maintaining weight, or preventing weight gain. But, it is so easy to out eat anything you burn off...you can quickly, in minutes eat a pint of ice cream and undo everything you've done for an hour or so of exercise.

The key is balance, the key is consistency, the key is enjoying what you're doing.

This morning when I woke up, the last thing I wanted to do was step foot inside of a gym. Fortunately I'm currently in a location that has a pool about 100 feet from my front door. So, I went for a swim, about 1 mile, and it did the trick. i got my exercise without stepping foot inside of a gym...and now I'm off to enjoy the rest of my day!

From your loving dietitian,
Dana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home